1. We got a puppy! Even though we’ve only had him for a little over a month, we’re head-over-heels for our Gus. It was a total coincidence, but we just happened to get him on Eli’s birthday. It’s going to be hard to top a puppy next year!
2. The highlight of our summer is the Indiana State Fair. When we planned our trip to Spain, the first question the kids asked was, “We won’t miss the fair, will we?” We went 3 times and it still doesn’t feel like enough.
3. Eli and I spent an afternoon at Colts Training Camp at Anderson University. The guys from the MMQB Training Camp Tour were there (sadly we missed Peter King) that day. Eli was ready to leave me in the dust and ride off to Green Bay with the boys in the fancy RV.
4. Is there anything better than closing down the pool with one of your best buddies?
5. The kids went back to school mid-August. Elena is officially too old for a back-to-school photo shoot, especially at 7 am. Eli, as you can see, feels differently.
6. Elena and I at Symphony on the Prairie. We went with my sister, and spent most of the evening down on the dance floor dancing to the tunes of ABBA.
7. See that smile on Eli above? That quickly faded when he realized 1st grade meant some kind of homework nearly every day (BOO). The one homework task he never minds? Reading out loud to Gus.
8. If I had a dollar for every time I thought to myself, “I have the world’s best neighbors,” I’d be able to buy a house on the beach. But I wouldn’t … because, hello? World’s best neighbors! We decided to ditch the boys and have a girls’ night out downtown. SO FUN. I just adore these girls.
9. “You want us to squirt shaving cream on our heads and throw cheese puffs at each other?” Just another day in the life of kid whose mom is a blogger. The end result was this fun post I did for Bedtime Math.
10. My last day at The Container Store, after working there nearly 3 years. I feel lost on Wednesday nights, when I always went in to unload our truck shipment. Man, I miss those people. But man, do I wake up feeling refreshed on Thursday mornings now.
11. We ate churros nearly every day in Spain, so the kids have been jonesing for them in a bad way. I finally tried my hand at making them one Sunday morning. I’m not sure where I went wrong, but the end result was a pan full of exploding churros. I’m still finding random bits of churro dough and oil in my kitchen. There were churros on the ceiling, y’all! Thankfully I walked away with minimal injuries (a few burn marks on my face and feet). Mike took over the duties as fry cook and managed to keep the churros where they belonged – intact in the pan, and – finally – in our bellies.
12. We organized our first annual cul-de-sac fantasy football draft. Because nothing brings neighbors together like good, old-fashioned smack talk.
If you’re not already following me on Instagram already, please do! You can find me there as (the one and only) AngieSix.